Structure of the VAST XML
The VAST XML is the response to the video player, containing a set of instructions, so that the player knows which ads to display and how to display them. Here is a sample structure of a VAST XML response. The VAST specification is very flexible regarding ad types, ways of displaying them and registering events. Currently we support the following instructions, represented in the sample XML:
- Displaying an In-stream video ad before the actual video. The information about the ad is placed in the Creative section.
- Optionally displaying a SKIP button, which can be initially disabled for a given number of seconds. This is set in the Linear skipoffset attribute.
- URI to the actual video file: the MediaFile element.
- URL, used to redirect the user upon clicking on the video ad: the ClickThrough element.
- URL(s), used by the video player to report various actions that took place while playing the video: the Tracking element(s). Currently we register the event of displaying 10 seconds of the video at normal speed.
- Error: this URL is used by the video player to report various problems while trying to display an ad. The VAST-compatible players automatically replace the [ERRORCODE] placeholder with an appropriate error code.
In-Stream Ad Zone Generation
Publishers are able to create in-stream ad zones, used for displaying the in-stream campaigns by the VAST-compatible video players. The steps to create an in-stream ad zone are similar to those of any other zones and one new setting is presented:
- Ability to set an optional Skip button, as well as the interval during which the button is disabled for clicking.
When the Publisher generates the ad zone, the system presents 2 options for setting the ad zone on a Publisher website:
- A unique VAST tag is presented. It looks similar to:
The advertiser can use the provided URL for setting the video player request and display a VAST ad. The exact integration is specific to each video player, so the player documentation should be followed.
Note: The automatic integration is in a beta stage. If it does not work for you, you can proceed with the generic approach of integrating the VAST Tag by following the JW Player documentation.